Kiss Me I’m Irish: Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day

March 20th, 2016 ewferg17

Happy St. Patrick’s Day Readers!

Yes I realize that Patty’s Day was a few days ago but Cork is still celebrating haha. For those of you who don’t know, St. Patrick was the man who christianized Ireland and is its patron saint. In Ireland, St. Patrick’s Day is a national holiday which means that UCC classes were canceled! I was very appreciative (we should get the day off in America too if you ask me). On Thursday, some of my friends and my roommate made our way to the city center to watch the annual St. Patrick Day Parade. Everyone was decked out in their green and there was a food market set up near the parade route so the aromas were simply heavenly! The parade began and we watched as street performers, dancers, sports clubs, and multicultural events walked along the street. It was a lot of fun and so nice to see the city all gathered together. After the parade , some of my friends and I grabbed a bite to eat and then had some nice conversations about life and cultural differences. After this refreshing chat, we headed to a few pubs and listened to the Irish traditional music that I’m going to miss so much when I go back to the U.S. Spending St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland was an unforgettable experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I’ve never seen the city center so packed in my whole time being in Ireland and I was thankful that the celebrations were not as chaotic as probably in Dublin. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I’m so happy that I picked Cork as my home for the year.

Anywho, it’s officially Easter Break here in the Eire. You know what that means: rest, relaxation, and two weeks of travel!! I will be traveling to Budapest, Prague, Barcelona, Florence, and Milan (I guess I just missed the Duomo too much). My friend Arianna will be accompanying me to Eastern Europe while my mom will be traveling with me to Spain and Italy! I’m so excited to have some time off. I won’t have my computer during my travels so I will have to update you guys when I return in two weeks. Have a Happy Easter!! Until Next Time,

Keep Calm and Take a Chill Pill

Elena

The Parade!

The Parade!