Feminism & Baking: Women’s New Domestic Duties?

January 20th, 2016 ewferg17

Salutations Readers!

It’s officially only the 2nd week of classes and I’m officially ready for my Easter break in March! While I’m adjusting to my new classes, sitting in a 2 hour lecture can be a bit boring at times. I guess it’s just part of the job description ( can I get an amen from my fellow students out there??!!). That’s probably one of the things that I miss most about the class environment at Holy Cross: the interaction between the student and the professor. As weird as it sounds, I miss being called on in class, I miss raising my hand, and even weirder I miss the required reading (gasp!!). I miss that overall participation aspect of the class that UCC just doesn’t have. The classes here are more just the professor talking at you then having a 2-way conversation. Despite having 1 semester under my belt, that’s something that I probably will never get used to.

Anywho enough of the realness. The rest of the blog will just be a random collection of my thoughts from this week. It’s still a little slow around here since the semester just started. I’m still figuring out my new routine and working on meeting new friends since most of my pals last semester were only in Cork for the semester. Over the weekend, my new roommate, Amber, and I took a stab at baking salted caramel brownies! Yes readers, I’m becoming even more domesticated in Ireland.  Not only have I been working on my chef skills, but also my baking abilities! Just call me wifey material. We made them from scratch and I think they turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. I’ll post a pic below.

In other news, I joined the feminist society at UCC and attended their first meeting yesterday. It was fun meeting new people and hearing about what the feminist society is all about. While I’ve always championed woman empowerment (and strong female led drama on tv), I’ve only recently started identifying as a feminist. Inspired by Beyonce (I am a card carrying member of the bee hive) and her song Flawless which samples Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche’s speech Why We Should All Be Feminists (video below)

I started to apply some of my sociology skills to learn more about the topic. I’ve always known that being black and a woman might make life a bit more challenging, but I hope that one day we as Americans can all be on an equal playing field. I think openly acknowledging my feminist identity is a good start to making that happen. Until Next Time…

Keep Calm and Go Learn Something New

Elena

Salted Caramel Brownies!

Salted Caramel Brownies!