Christmas Abroad: Adventures in a European Wonderland

January 7th, 2016 ewferg17

Greetings Readers!

Did you miss me? I hope the holidays were as fun and relaxing for you guys as they were for me. As you know, I went on a 2 week trip around Europe to several destinations with one of my good friends from HC (shoutout to Quynh). I just back on Sunday and I had so much fun. School starts back up next week so I’m savoring my last few days of freedom. This week’s blog will be a recap of my longest European trip to date. Enjoy!

Malta- “The Golden Girl” The 1st word that comes to my mind is sunshine. Compared to Ireland, Malta was so much warmer and sunnier. It was such an interesting island filled with so many different influences due to its unique location between northern Africa and Italy. I even got to try a local delicacy dish which is rabbit stew.

Rome- “The Old Soul” I think Rome was my favorite city. There was so much to see in terms of the ancient attractions like the Colosseum and Trevi Fountain,etc. It was awesome to see where the empire began and live out my inner childhood Lizzie McGuire fantasy (only my 90’s babies will get that reference). Also the food was delicious, A+ for the pizza and pasta.

Venice- “The Mysterious Merchant” By far the most unique city that we got the chance to see. We took a gondola ride through the canals of the city and saw St. Mark’s Square. It is an island which made it a bit difficult to navigate since you have to cross so many bridges. I think my least favorite city, but still definitely worth seeing and a nice Christmas destination.

Verona- “The Hidden Gem” Situated between Venice and Milan, most people would think that it doesn’t have a lot to offer. It’s smaller than it’s two shadowing cities and is mostly known for its Romeo and Juliet connection. Not only was it Shakespeare’s muse, but modern day Verona is still a force to be reckoned with. It has a chiller vibe than the other cities and it is quite charming. It looked the most Italian (probably due to the colorful balconies).

Milan- “The Chic Citadel” This city was by far the most modern of Italy. While the other three relied on history to bring in tourists, Milan relies more on its current status as a fashion and finance capital of the world to draw its crowds. The best part was its Duomo which literally translates to cathedral. It was ornate and huge and amazing! We also got to see Da Vinci’s famous painting The Last Supper.

Paris- “The Magical Metropolis” I couldn’t have picked a better place to spend New Years. Despite the recent attacks, Parisians are staying strong and enjoying life despite the circumstances. We rang in the new year under the Arc di Triomphe on the Champ Elysees! I tried escargot for the 1st time (it was actually delicious), climbed to the top of the Arc, and ice skated on the 1st floor of the Eiffel Tower. It was an epic way to end an epic trip.

I’ll post pics below. Until next time,

Keep Calm and Bless Up

Elena

Malta Harbor!

Malta Harbor!

Colosseum.

Colosseum.

Views from the Gondola (no there was no singing)

Where fore art thou Romeo?

Where fore art thou Romeo?

The Duomo!

The Duomo!

Happy New Year: French Style

Happy New Year: French Style

One Response to “Christmas Abroad: Adventures in a European Wonderland”

1. Quynh says:

AWWW SO GREAT ELENA!!! What a wonderful 2 weeks with you 😀 luv it

we da best